Dow Crag (this is one of Wainwright’s top 6 summits)
It is likely that tall structures would be seen from Coniston Old Man above the slopes of Lacra (Great Knott).
This is one of Wainwright’s top 6 fells.
The nuclear power station would also be visible from the summit of neighbouring Bow Fell, particularly if cooling towers were needed, which could be 100-200 metres high. Bow Fell, 1 mile north of Crinkle Crags, is another of Wainwright’s 6 best fells.
Although the nuclear power station would not be visible from the very top of Black Combe, there would be a clear view of it from the south summit, and for almost all the ascent and descent on the main route from Whicham Church.
A nuclear power station at Kirksanton would be a significant feature in the view from the southern slopes of Black Combe, which was remarked upon by William Wordsworth almost 200 years ago, in his poem View from the top of Black Combe (composed 1813, published 1815):
“… the amplest range
Of unobstructed prospect may be seen
That British ground commands…”
Wordsworth continues by describing the panorama of mountains visible in England and Scotland, and mentions the Isle of Man and Ireland being visible. In 1813 Wordsworth also wrote Inscription, written with a slate pencil on a stone, on the side of the mountain of Black Combe, which is about the experiences of a surveyor who had camped on the summit for several weeks, taking observations for a map. This was Colonel Mudge (1762-1820), a major-general in the Royal Artillery and a distinguished mathematician and surveyor.
In The Outlying Fells of Lakeland (1974), Alfred Wainwright quoted the poem by Wordsworth as shown above, and devoted two pages to the view. He concluded by saying:
“As a place for appraising the costal plain and estuaries, however, Black Combe is quite supreme. Thirty continuous miles of shoreline and its pleasant hinterland are seen as on a map. The towns and villages fit unobtrusively into a tranquil scene. The one jarring feature is the atomic power station, spoiling the prospect of the Esk estuary and the sands of Ravenglass.”